When you’re planning a Mexican-themed meal, what’s the first dish that comes to mind? For most people, it’s chicken fajitas. This popular dish is enjoyed by people of all ages, and it’s easy to see why. Fajitas are flavorful, filling, and relatively simple to prepare.
When I was growing up, chicken fajitas were always one of my favorite dishes. My mom would make them for special occasions, and I always looked forward to them. These days, I love making them for my own family. They’re the perfect meal for a busy weeknight, and my kids love them. Of course, no matter how delicious the chicken fajitas are, they’re not complete without a few good side dishes.
But what do you serve with chicken fajitas? I’ve been wondering that myself lately, so I did some research and a lot of trials and errors before finally coming up with the perfect side dish combos. Here’s what I’ve come up with!
What Do You Serve With Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Peppers
- Chorizo Con Papas
- Roasted Potatoes
- Refried Bean Dip
- Grilled Avocado
- Mexican Quinoa
- Mexican Street Corn
A little char goes a long way when it comes to flavor and grilled vegetables are the perfect addition to any meal, especially when served alongside chicken fajitas. Grilled peppers are a classic choice, and for good reason – they’re easy to prepare and pair well with a variety of flavors.
For those who want to add a little heat to their meal, jalapeño peppers are a great option. For a sweeter dish, bell peppers are a good bet. And for something in between, poblano peppers are perfect.
Regardless of which type of pepper you choose, grilling brings out the natural sweetness and smokiness that makes them so delicious. Just be sure not to overcook them – you want them to be slightly charred on the outside but still crisp on the inside.
Chorizo Con Papas
Chorizo con Papas is a flavorful and zesty side dish that is perfect for chicken fajitas. The chorizo sausage is cooked with potatoes and onions, and it has a kick of heat that perfectly complements the milder flavors of chicken and fajitas.
The dish is also relatively easy to prepare, and it can be made in advance so that it is ready to serve when the fajitas are hot out of the skillet. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when making Chorizo con Papas:
- Be sure to use fresh chorizo sausage for the best flavor.
- Cook the potatoes just until they are tender; overcooked potatoes will fall apart and make the dish mushy.
- Be careful not to overcook the chorizo; it should be cooked all the way through, but it should not be dry or crumbly.
When thinking of side dishes for chicken fajita, I sometimes like to keep things simple and go with roasted potatoes. They’re a classic side that goes with just about anything, and they’re so easy to make.
All you have to do is just toss some potatoes in olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Then roast them in the oven until they’re nice and crispy.
The key to getting crispy potatoes is to make sure they’re cut into even pieces so they cook evenly. Once they’re out of the oven, give them a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a little brightness.
Refried Bean Dip
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make side dish for your chicken fajitas, look no further than refried bean dip! This dish is made with cooked, mashed beans that are typically seasoned with onions, garlic, and chili peppers.
The result is a rich and flavorful dip that pairs perfectly with tortilla chips or soft tacos. Plus, it’s a great way to add some extra protein and fiber to your meal.
Of course, there are a few things to remember when creating refried bean dip.:
- Be sure to use fresh beans for the best flavor and texture.
- If you’re using canned beans, be sure to drain and rinse them before cooking.
- When seasoning your dip, start with less salt and spice and add more to the taste.
Grilled avocado is a delicious and healthy side dish that pairs well with chicken fajitas. The rich, creamy texture of the avocado helps to balance out the spice of the fajitas, and the grilled flavor adds an extra layer of depth to the dish.
While grilled avocado is relatively easy to prepare, there are a few things to bear in mind in order to get the greatest results.:
- Be sure to use ripe avocados that are just beginning to turn brown. If they are too ripe, they will fall apart on the grill.
- Brush the avocados with oil before grilling to help prevent sticking.
- Don’t overdo it on the grill – a few minutes per side is all you need.
Salsa is a delicious and versatile side dish that can be enjoyed with chicken fajitas. The vibrant flavors of tomatoes, onions, and cilantro come together to create a fresh and zesty salsa that is perfect for pairing with chicken.
Additionally, the acidity of the tomatoes helps to balance out the richness of the chicken fajitas. Even so, when using salsa as a side dish, there are some tips that you need to take note of:
- Be sure to taste your salsa before serving it. This will allow you to adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- If you are using store-bought salsa, be sure to drain off any excess liquid before serving. This will help to prevent your fajitas from becoming soggy.
- If you want a chunkier salsa, simply chop the ingredients by hand instead of blending them.
Guacamole is a delicious and healthy side dish that goes great with chicken fajitas. It is made with avocado, tomatoes, onions, and spices. The taste is slightly sweet and creamy with a little bit of spice.
Guacamole can be served as a dip or on the side. It is a good source of fiber and vitamins A, C, and E. Guacamole is also low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
However, the cons of guacamole are that it can be high in calories and fat if not eaten in moderation. It is also important to note that avocados are a high allergy food. If you have never had avocado before, it is best to start with a small amount to see if you have any reaction.
To make sure you’ll be serving the perfect guacamole, you should always include using fresh ingredients. Don’t forget to add lime juice to prevent browning, and salt to taste as well.
Salad is the perfect side dish for chicken fajitas because it is light and refreshing, and it helps to balance out the rich flavors of the fajitas. I like to use a simple green salad with a lemon vinaigrette dressing, but you can also add some chopped fruit or nuts to give the salad a little more texture and flavor.
The key is to keep the salad simple so that it doesn’t overpower the other flavors in the dish. It can also be a great way to add some extra vegetables to your meal, which is always a good thing.
However, the downside of using salad as a side dish is that it can be a bit messy, especially if you are using dressing. But, if you are careful, you can avoid making too much of a mess.
Salad is also generally not as filling as other side dishes, so you may want to consider serving it alongside another food item if you are looking for something heartier. Just be sure to choose a dressing that compliments the other flavors in the dish, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients.
Mexican Quinoa is a delicious, healthy side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken fajitas. It is packed with nutrients, including protein, fiber, and iron, and has a slightly nutty flavor that enhances the taste of the chicken.
Mexican Quinoa is also very easy to make: simply cook the quinoa in broth or water, then stir in some diced tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. If you want a little extra flavor, you can also add some lime juice or chili powder.
One of the great things about this dish is that it can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve. However, Mexican Quinoa has a few disadvantages, which you should be aware of:
- It can be quite dry if not cooked correctly.
- It can be bland if not seasoned properly.
Fortunately, both of these problems are easily solved by following a few simple tips:
- When cooking Mexican Quinoa, be sure to use broth instead of water for a more flavorful dish.
- Be sure to season the quinoa well with salt, pepper, and other spices before serving.
Mexican Street Corn
Mexican Street Corn is a delicious and simple side dish that goes great with chicken fajitas. The corn is cooked in chili-lime butter and then topped with cotija cheese and cilantro. The result is a sweet, savory, and slightly spicy side dish that is sure to please.
Here are some tips for getting the best results with Mexican Street Corn:
- Make sure to cook the corn until it is tender. This will help the flavors to meld together and make the dish more flavorful.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different cheeses. Cotija cheese is traditional, but you could also use feta, queso fresco, or even cream cheese.
- Add some heat by including jalapeno peppers or red pepper flakes in the butter mixture. This will give the corn a nice kick without being too spicy.
Related Questions When Choosing What Do You Serve With Chicken Fajitas
What are other options when choosing what to serve with chicken fajitas?
- Corn Salad
- Spanish Rice
- Black Beans And Rice
- Mexican Rice
- Mayan Couscous
- Sweet Corn Tomalito
- Avocado And Black Bean Dip
- Chicken Posole Verde
- Fresco Salsa
- Chili Con Queso
- Spicy Roasted Potatoes
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Albondigas Soup
What are some tips when choosing what to serve with chicken fajitas?
When choosing what to serve with chicken fajitas, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- It is important to consider the flavors of both the chicken and the side dish. You want the dishes to complement each other, so choose ingredients that will pair well together.
- You need to think about what type of dish you want to serve. There are many different options, from soups and salads to dips and quesadillas. So choose a dish that you know your guests will enjoy, and that will fit the theme of your party or event.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment! With so many different flavors and ingredients available, there are endless possibilities when it comes to what you can serve with chicken fajitas. So go ahead and try something new, you might be surprised at how much your guests enjoy it.
So what are you waiting for? Get out your skillet and start cooking! These delicious side dishes will have your taste buds singing with joy.
Not only are they easy to make, but they’re also healthy and affordable. You can’t deny that they’re worth a try!